Equifax Data Breach Information and Tips For Your Protection
While the widely reported Equifax breach did not involve First Commerce’s systems, we understand you may be concerned about the personal information exposed that could put you at risk for identity theft.
For more information about this breach including the latest updates from the investigation, visit Equifax’s dedicated website. On this site, you can check to see if you have been affected under “Potential impact.” (Please note: You will need to enter your last name and the last 6 digits of your Social Security number.)
At First Commerce, we are committed to security. We do our part with rigorous security standards including monitoring your accounts 24/7 for potential fraud, protecting your information and access with up-to-date technology, and contacting you immediately when we detect suspicious or unusual activity. We also partner with you on ways to help you protect yourself, and your membership includes free secure tools to help you monitor and safeguard your accounts.
Here are some tips on what you can do to help protect your money and reduce your risk of fraud:
- Always monitor your account activity closely and regularly for potential fraud. We make it easy with secure and convenient toolsincluding:
- Promptly report any activity that is suspicious or you are unsure about by contacting us or emailing us at Abuse@FirstCommerceCU.org. Anytime fraud has been committed, there are additional steps to consider. Remember, if money is taken from your account and you report it within 60 days, we issue a credit back to your account while we investigate. Once we receive an affidavit identifying the fraudulent charges, we work to advance the credit within a few days but not more than 10 days.
- If you are unsure where your debit or credit card is or are missing checks, report them lost/stolen promptly.
- Keep your contact information on file with us up-to-date so we can get in touch with you if we detect suspicious activity – you may now do so in digital banking under “Services” “Manage Contact Info,” or by contacting us.
- Request and review your credit report annually – you are entitled to a free copy of your credit report once a year by law through annualcreditreport.com . Our website includes tips on what to look for.
- Consider an identity theft protection monitoring service to help further reduce your risk. While these services can’t prevent identity theft, they can help you catch it early if, for example, someone uses your information to open credit. If your information was exposed in their breach, Equifax is offering a free 12-month service you can sign up for on their website. First Commerce offers CyberScout as a comprehensive and affordable option starting at just $7/month that includes a dedicated fraud specialist and up to $25,000 in reimbursement coverage if you become a victim of identity theft.
- Educate yourself about identity theft with free resources available through the “Learn” section of our website including SmartMoney Online courses, and our CyberScout ID Theft Knowledge Center including an ID Theft Calculator to determine your risk score. Also visit the Fraud & Security section of our website.
If we can be of personal assistance, please contact us anytime.
Thank you for placing your trust in First Commerce. It is our goal to be your financial partner for life.
* Standard carrier text/data rates may apply.