We support the communities
We support the communities
First Commerce Is Local Strong
In 2020, as the pandemic began to impact the communities we serve, First Commerce sought to find a meaningful way to provide support. Recognizing that many locally owned businesses were struggling, we launched the #LocalStrong initiative to engage and empower our team members to help. First Commerce gave every team member $25 to make a purchase from their favorite local business. Team members could then donate their purchases to individuals and organizations in need. This wave of generosity grew as communities across the United States and Canada launched similar initiatives, generating more than $1 million in local support.More FCCU in the Community
First Commerce is proud to have team members who are committed to serving our members and our communities. Watch these videos to see the inspiring stories about the impact they made through #LocalStrong.
Empowering Our Communities
We never imagined the impact this one simple idea could have! Here are some of the facts and details about #LocalStrong.
- First Commerce officially launched the #LocalStrong initiative in March 2020, distributing more than $4,000 to over 150 team members to spend at local businesses in their community.
- After announcing the #LocalStrong initiative, First Commerce encouraged other businesses and organizations to join the movement by launching the same or similar program. Early participants included Envision Credit Union, Tallahassee-Leon Federal Credit Union, FLAG Credit Union, First Florida Credit Union, FSU Credit Union, First Federal Bank, and the League of Southeastern Credit Unions, which launched their own version of support. Many more organizations followed!
- The #LocalStrong initiative received great coverage from local media partners, helping us to broaden the awareness of #LocalStrong and its impact on small businesses.
- In April 2020, First Commerce announced a second wave of the #LocalStrong initiative. With the launch of the second wave, First Commerce distributed over $5,000 among more than 200 team members to spend with local businesses in their community.
- The League of Southeastern Credit Unions was inspired by our idea and, together with its Foundation, launched the #CreditUnionsCareChallenge, which challenged member credit unions across the region to launch their own #LocalStrong efforts. For every credit union that participated, the Foundation matched their contribution per employee (up to $25 each) and donated that amount to a local charity chosen by the credit union. Read a brief article about the effort here.
- First Commerce encouraged team members and others to share their stories about what they did to support local businesses using the tag @FirstCommerceCU and hashtags #LocalStrong, #CUStrong, #FCCUProud, #FirstCommerceProud to help fill social media news feeds with positive stories about all the good going on in our communities!
March 28, 2020: Initial Press Release Announcing #LocalStrong Initiative
March 30, 2020: WTXL.com/FirstCommerceLaunchesLocalStrong
CUToday.com/First Commerce Gives Team Members Funds to Use in Community
March 31, 2020: News.CUNA.org/LocalStrong Creates a Wave of Support
April 2, 2020: TallahasseeMagazine.com/Tallahassee Together
April 28, 2020: iHeart.com/podcast/Preston Scott Show
May 4, 2020: WFSU.org/First Commerce CU Encourages Team Members to Support Local Businesses
May 21, 2020: TheColumbusCEO.com/Credit Union Care Challenge Hits Half-Million Mark
November 20, 2020: FCCU Receives National Recognition for Giving Back to Local Business Community
November 20, 2020: First Commerce Credit Union Wins National CUNA Award for #LocalStrong
“I want to express my gratitude for one of your Loan Officers. He kept me updated each day, returned all my phone calls promptly, along with email questions. This young man went above and beyond all my expectations for customer service, and for that I will do all of my future banking with FCCU.”
Your Financial Partner for Life
Established in 1940, First Commerce is a full-service, not-for-profit credit union with locations across North Florida and South Georgia. We are a member-owned cooperative and committed to the communities we serve. Our purpose is to empower people to enhance their financial well-being by helping them achieve their financial goals – whether it’s simplifying their day-to-day finances, buying their first car or home, or building a great retirement. When you bank with First Commerce, you get a truly personal experience backed by 80 years of financial expertise.